Coming for 2017!
We are working on a "4x5 - 5x4 inch digital back". But it will actually be a 5x5 inch square format.
It is hip to be square
Having a square back will be nice as you don't need to rotate it, and quite a few people like the square format. A cropping option will allow you to crop to 4x5 or 5x4.
Use it like a film camera
All lenses with an image circle for 5x5 inches should work fine, even with lots of movements. Treat it like a monochrome film camera, with nearly unlimited film, and with the possibility to change the film type after shooting.
Being fat is lovely
People like to reminisce about medium format fat pixel digital backs. Fat pixels are sharp, have great tones and range. The LS55 pixels are beyond fat, they are humongous. Diffraction is not much of a worry with big pixels.
Join the Interest List
Join the list to purchase and or demo!
LS55: Expected USA price US$48,500
Infrared (IR) Support
Excellent support for IR and UV, since there is no blocking filter in the camera.
- 5x5 inch high sensitivity, large pixel digital sensor
- 6.7 Mega Pixels - 6,760,000 pixels with high FWC
- 50 micron pixel size (these are very large)
- Live view for easy focusing
- WiFi for remote viewing and control
- 1300 × 1300 movie mode with an optional 1280 x 720 crop. Up to 26 fps. Video output options TIFFs, DNGs, CinemaDNG, JPEGs, h.264
- 14 bit AD; 16 bit files
- No CFA, no AA and no micro lenses. This allows large movements without affecting edge image quality.
- Output to DNG, TIFF and JPEG.
- Media: CF and SD card slots.
- Tethered operation, by CAT5 cable or WiFi.
- Dust - The sensor is large and can pick up dust. It is easy to remove the bellows and clean the sensor. Also a white frame can be taken before a photo session which works very well in removing most dust. The white frame is incorporated into the camera software.
- All specifications subject to change
- Tablet or notebook for camera control and FFC
- IR & UV blocking filters for your lenses for outside photography and for hot lights. Flash photography does not typically need the filters.
- ND filters for shooting wide open since the digital sensor is much more senestive than film
- A sturdy tripod.
- Sensor cleaning tools. We recommend Eclipse fluid, PEC pads and a Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal blower. There is an external glass in front of the sensor glass so that if you damage the glass it can be replaced.
Mounting the LS55
8x10 cameras are the best option for the 5x5 inch LS55 digital back to allow full coverage.
Planned Compatibility at Launch
Svedovsky.com Svedovsky 8×10D will be fully compatible with a custom mounting plate. It should be ready by the camera launch. The cameras are affordable, solid and good looking. The camera will have a custom modification by Svedovsky to handle the additional weight of the digital sensor compared to film.
Colors available: natural wood, red mahogany and black
Bag bellows for wide angle on the Svedovsky 8×10W
Sinar P1, P2 and Sinar Norma: If parts are available the 8x10 Sinar system should allow mounting of the LS55 digital back.
Extra Mounting Options
Many people have expressed strong interest in mounting the LS55 on their own 4x5 camera. There are issues with it, such as possible cropping of the sensor, weight and infinity focusing. Though, we'll give it a try. Most likely a back for the camera, such as a film back, would be needed to construct a mount from.
Here are cameras that have been requested:
- ArcaSwiss 4x5, Arca-Swiss Monolith 4x5; Arca Swiss Basic 1
- Cambo 4x5
- Cambo SC
- Calumet CC400
- Chamonix 045F-1
- Crown Graphic Graflex
- Deardorff 4x5 and 8x10
- Ebony SV-45U2
- Graflex RB Super D (SLR)
- Graflock Adapter for 4x5 or 8x10
- Gottschalt DS-45
- Horseman 450
- Horseman 5x4
- Horseman HD45
- Horseman L
- Korona 5x7
- Linhof 4x5 Super Colur (Color)
- Linhof Master Technika Camera; Linhof Majster Technik, Vintage Linhoff Technica
- Linhof Technika camera (many submissions!)
- Meridian 45A
- MPP 5X4 Monorail
- Phillips 4x5 (Horseman back)
- Plaubel Peco III
- Plaubel Peco Profia 4x5
- SINAR Norma 4x5 and 5x7
- Sinar P 4x5
- Sinar P2 (With possible 8x10 change kit)
- Sinar P2 --compatible; Sinar P2 4x5
- Speed Graphic 4x5 Notes: mounting with custom back panel, around 5 MP with an opening of approximately 4.75 by 3.9 inches
- Tokyo view 45c
- Toyaview 4x5a
- Toyo-View 45G / 45GII
- Toyo 8X10 field camera
- Toyo Field ( Sakai special camera) 5 x7 inch
- TOYO VX125
- Toyoview 4x5A; Toyo 45A
- Wisner 4x5
- Wista VX, 4x5, Wista 45 SP
- Zone VI Tachihara field camera
How to buy the LS55
You may join our LS55 Interest List and our mailing list and we will update you when we're ready for taking orders. It expected that the camera should be ready for sale in the middle of 2017. For those who wish to demo the camera we will offer those by appointment in Santa Clara, CA, USA.
LS55-M Monochrome 5x5 inch digital camera
LS55-C Color 5x5 inch digital camera - Available after the monochrome version if there is enough demand.C - colorM - monochrome
Front Sensor Glass
The sensor has glass bonded to it. In front of that glass is another plate of glass which protects the sensor glass, called the Front Sensor Glass. The front sensor glass can be configured for visible light only, or to allow all light.
During ordering the type of glass can be picked. Afterwards the glass can be changed but requires disassembly of the camera.
LS55-Glass-FB Full band. Allows taking NIR or UV images. Requires filters.
LS55-Glass-VB Visible band pass. Blocks NIR and UV, allowing only visible light. The advantage is that every lens is ready without needing a filter.JOIN THE MAILING LIST!
A Portable Solution
The LS55 and Svedovsk 8x10D camera, along with accessories will fit into a large backpack, making it a portable large format digital solution.
STATUS: June 2017
A prototype 5x5 sensor should be with us by Sept. or Oct. 2017 and a digital back prototype will quickly follow. Then production units.